Tuesday, May 24, 2022

001 | Adulthood


Recently spent a wholesome day with close friends in Sunnyvale along with their loved ones. The main crux of this group are two of my closest and oldest friends, Kevin and Alphonso. Simply put, in the twenty-two years I've spent living here in the United States, they've been there every step of the way. 

This essay is not about recapping this particular Saturday's events (TopGolf, followed by hours of Tequila, Swimming and Hot Pot to sweat it all out). This is about the topic of growing older with the people you met early in life. It's about the trials and tribulations, the journey spent together and being able to look back, in retrospect. It's also about the current, observing each other's moves and where they are looking to position themselves for their own futures. 

During this day, Kevin positioned himself for a bright future for his family. The South Bay will be home for the next few years, fortifying the family by building a home from the ground up and hoping to fill it with life soon alongside his significant other, Vivian. To be proud would be an understatement, but I can't say I'm surprised as I've experienced and observed this man maneuver through life and succeed each and every step. 

This day is not just about future planning, but also being active and conscious in the present. I watched one of my best friends navigate their 20's into their 30's as both a father and a husband. The ebb and flow of familial life is so apparent in his journey. Again, this part of life is about balance and as a family man, part of that balance requires taking himself out of the equation at times, but knowing when to prioritize self-care is just as important. 

Being a godfather to his eldest, Isaiah, I try to pass on and do right by him as much as I can. Most of my upbringing and ideals I learned through religion and faith. We wish to pass on the best of who we are, correct the worst of who we are and add who we are not and could not be. Along the way, of course there are expectations, vicariously living through them your own life whether it's sports or academics. This next decade will be one to look forward to as Isaiah begins to evolve as an individual, become more of a free thinker as well as learning how to challenge ideals and scratching at the curiosities of life. Here is also where I am slightly thankful, I don't have kids of my own. 

My own journey in my 30's is not just spent observing others like an afternoon spent at Starbuck's sipping on a Mocha Frappuccino. No, I have my own daily situations and items to tend to as well. The thing I do appreciate is that the decisions I currently make typically revolve around one person, me. I don't look at it in a selfish manner, the perspective I'm in just makes things simple for now. Not saying no one will ever occupy the other chair across from me, but for now decisions are simple and I am completely okay with it. I find happiness knowing I can maneuver with ease on my own volition. My own wants and motivations are as pure as it can be. My adulthood currently revolves around the person I want to become and how I want to project it on the world. Hopefully, the next few posts will reflect that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment