Wednesday, June 15, 2022

002 | 76 Christen


It was August 5, 2000. We landed at SFO, coming from the Philippines. I was 10 years old. It was the first step of our journey of moving here to the states. My first meal after landing was at Thai BBQ in Westborough (now currently located at Fairmont Center in Pacifica). I ordered the classic S-2 (pork ribs) which I still order till this very day (ask for extra sauce). This was home for the first 3-4 months, 76 Christen Avenue, just a few blocks from Classic Bowl and Manila Oriental Market. I knew that it was foggy in this area, but something about that day landed sticks with me as we drove down Skyline on 35, seeing how thick this layer of fog was, like it was cotton candy.

We were a family of 5 sharing a tiny little one bedroom space. On the floor was a small little television broadcasting the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics. Just a few feet away, scattered pillows and blankets where we slept. It was a rude awakening, but for me as a 10 year old, all I had was the prospect of hope and curiosity. I wondered, we came from living in a house with many rooms in the Philippines and now, becoming relegated to this tiny little bedroom with everyone. Was this temporary? and who else was living in this house? As I had many questions running about in my mind, I couldn't help but notice a sense of unknown and fear and shock coming from my mom's face. It didn't really register with me then but now, it all makes sense.

This house means a lot to me. I created my first email address here (still alive and kicking to house my fantasy football leagues and junk email). I learned about American pantry snacks like little debbies, ho-ho's and the almighty twinkie. On the flip side, I remember my mom vividly instructing me not to interact with the others in the house. I was also told not to go out too much and lay low. Summer afternoons were spent indoors, peering out the window seeing kids on Razor scooters living it up. It felt more like a prison than it did home. Fear of potential deportation, not knowing who to trust- this was a lot to think about as a 10 year old child adjusting to a new environment. This was 3-4 months of my life, it was a breath of fresh air once I heard we were finally moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment